Summer is by far my favorite season as I am sure it is for most of you. Living in the South that means many days spent in the sun, whether at the pool, driving around the city with the top down on the car, or the occasional beach vacation. With all of this fun in the sun it is important to protect your hair just as much as it is to protect your skin. There are some very simple “do’s and dont’s” to Summer haircare.
1. Saturate your hair with untreated (tap) water before going into the ocean or the swimming pool. By doing this the hair won’t soak up as much chlorine or salt. Be sure that you don’t shampoo though, this will strip away the natural oils that protect your hair and leave it even more vulnerable to salt and chemicals.
2. Deep condition weekly. Whether you come into Soda for a customized Kerastase Treatment or purchase one of the many masques that we offer it is important to keep your hair moisturized. The sun can dry your hair out leaving it feeling like straw.
3. Eat protein to strengthen your hair. Hair is made of keratin which is a type of protein. By adding protein rich foods to your diet, such as nuts or fish, you can strengthen your hair from the inside out. You can also consider adding vitamins to your diet. We are now carrying Rene Furterer at Soda and they offer a vitamin supplement called Vitalfan that will promote microcirculation and cell growth.
4. Don’t tug or brush your hair when it is wet. Ideally you want to use a wide tooth comb to comb your hair out when you get out of the pool or ocean. Hair is in it’s most fragile state when it is wet and can easily break. By using a brush when your hair is wet you can pull hair out at the follicle. Also remember not to pull soaking wet hair into a ponytail and by all means do not use a rubber band. Find a hair tie that is the correct size for your hair and make sure that it isn’t too tight.
5. Use an SPF serum or spray before prolonged sun exposure. Not only will this product protect your hair but it can also protect your scalp. Many people do not realize that the scalp is just as vulnerable to sun exposure as the rest of our skin. By using a product that contains SPF on your hair you can get the benefits on your scalp as well. Try our UV+ Fade Proof Fluide from Alterna’s Bamboo Line for an awesome color protection and SPF solution.
6. Groceries belong on the plate not on the head. Kick those old wives tales to the curb. If you are still putting lemon juice or peroxide on your hair for highlights stop now. This causes the cuticle to burst open and if nothing is deposited underneath the sun is able to glare right down on the hair. This can leave you with hair that better resembles shredded wheat than glowing highlights. Sometimes this damage cannot be fixed. Come into Soda if you are wanting to freshen up your locks. We also offer several different products to help protect and extend the life of your color over the summer. You will be much happier in the long run.
7. Keratin Treatments are an amazing way to control frizz. Getting a smoothing treatment this time of year is a wonderful idea. It will cut down on styling time, reduce frizz caused by the humidity, and add keratin to your hair to help keep it strong and healthy. The service takes about 2 hours and is done in the salon. Plus, it is completely safe on color treated hair.
8. Nix those split ends. The only way to truly get rid of split ends is to cut them off. Coming into the salon every six weeks or so keeps the ends of your hair trimmed and healthy. This will prevent the split ends from spreading up the hair shaft.
9. Use a color depositing shampoo or conditioner. I love my blonde but my blonde doesn’t always love me. During the summer it tends to turn a little brassy. If you are like me then consider using a color depositing shampoo and conditioner like Anti-Aging, Color Hold Shampoo and Conditioner from Alterna’s Caviar Line. They offer several different options and even a leave-in conditioner.
10. Invest in a clarifying shampoo. If you are in and out of the pool daily or use a lot of product on your hair consider purchasing a clarifying shampoo. This will help separate and remove chlorine and product buildup from the hair. You should only use this once a week or as needed. Look forward to Alterna’s New Clarifying Shampoo coming soon to Soda!
Be sure to keep this list in mind over the next few months. Keeping your hair healthy now will prolong its beauty and help extend your time between appointments. If you have color treated hair then this list is most important for you, as your hair is already more vulnerable to the sun and heat’s damage. Enjoy the Summer and for many of you, we will see you in the Fall!